This is one of my favourite ‘go to’ quick and tasty meals. It takes about 15-20 minutes to make and serves four.
- 400g tin of green lentils
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 red pepper
- 150g of mushrooms
- 400g tin of chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 low salt vegetable stock cube dissolved in 100ml of boiled water
- 2 tsps of oregano
- 300g of whole wheat spaghetti
- Grated parmesan (or a teaspoon of nutritional yeast for vegans)
- Chop the onion and crush the garlic, then heat the oil and sauté these on a low – medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Chop the rest of the vegetables, stir in the peppers and fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the mushrooms and fry for a further minute.
- Add the tinned lentils, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, vegetable stock and oregano, bring to the boil then simmer gently.
- While the sauce is simmering, add the pasta to a pan of boiling water and cook for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, top with lentil bolognese sauce and grated parmesan (or a sprinkle of nutritional yeast) and enjoy!