To keep everything transparent, here is some information about the background workings, intentions and integrity of this blog. I will endeavour to keep this disclosure policy up to date.
Aim & Ethos
- The aim of Dietetically Speaking is to promote evidence based nutrition in a clear and accessible way. I also aim to celebrate all things food, nutrition and healthy lifestyle related by sharing tips, advice and recipes.
- I promote a healthy and balanced approach to diet and lifestyle. I don’t think that any foods should be demonised or that any one particular food makes a diet healthy; it’s about the bigger picture of health, including promoting a healthy relationship with food.
- This blog reflects who I am both personally and professionally.
- I am a UK Registered Dietitian with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and I am a member of the British Dietetic Association (BDA). I aim to use my knowledge and skills as a Dietitian in an accurate and professionally responsible manner.
- In view of the importance of transparency I have signed up to with RDs4Disclosure UK and have pledged to blog with integrity. This means I am bound by an ethical code of conduct and will not provide false and misleading information.
- This website shares evidence-based information about nutrition in general, but this should not be used as an alternative to individually tailored advice given by a registered health professional.
- I will try to update old content from time to time (where applicable), however please note that older posts may no longer be up to date.
- The images featured on this website are from copyright-free sources (unless stated otherwise) and photo credits are given where applicable.
Advertising, Product/Service Reviews & Partnerships
- All of the views represented in my blog posts (and related social media sites) are my own and are 100% honest. I also screen all guest posts which are shared on this website to ensure that the messages fit into the overarching aims and ethos of this website.
- I will always disclose in a clear manner if I receive any samples, money or other incentives related to blog or social media posts and receiving these will not influence the opinions, topics or content of my blog (as per the Internet Advertising Bureau: IAB guidelines).
- I will only ever review, advertise or feature products/services which I believe could be of interest and benefit to my followers. Mentioning a product doesn’t automatically imply endorsement or recommendation of this product. I will never make or support unjustifiable statements relating to particular products (as per HCPC & BDA guidelines) or promote one product over another (as per food industry regulations).
- Any reviews of products are based on my personal tastes and preferences, and a nutrition assessment based on my professional observation and training as a Registered Dietitian.
- As per ASA and IAB affiliate marketing guidelines I will always disclaim partnerships and I will clearly state if there are any affiliate links included in content posted on this website. When affiliate links are included, this means that at no extra cost to you I will earn a commission for click-through purchases.
- I will always clearly highlight when other professionals have proof-read or contributed to any of the content on this website.
What Information May Be Collected and What This is Used For:
- If you choose to subscribe to Dietetically Speaking, your email address is added to a secure list within my MailChimp account so that I can send my free monthly newsletter to you, as well as information and offers from time to time which I feel may be of interest to you. All subscribers to this email list are clearly informed about how their data will be used, stored, processed and tracked using the MailChimp service on my newsletter sign-up notice before choosing whether to opt-in or not. This highlights that subscribers will be sent my monthly newsletter, as well as information and offers from time to time which I feel may be of interest. Subscriber’s email addresses are used for no other purposes than those outlined above, and they are free to opt-out at any time.Verifiable consent is obtained using a General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliant sign-up form which stores permission data in list export files (as advised by the MailChimp service). A double opt-in method is also used to ensure explicit consent is obtained for the subscription. All subscribers are free to change their information or opt-out from my newsletter at any time.
- If you avail of any of Dietetically Speaking’s Services, relevant information which is needed to complete these services may be collected. For example: contact details to facilitate communication, details needed for invoicing, information about a project, or information needed for completing an individual nutritional assessment. Explicit informed consent is obtained prior to gathering any of this information using Dietetically Speaking’s Terms and Condition (for consultancy services) or client agreement (for individual nutritional advice).
Security and Where Your Information is Stored
- I am committed to ensuring that all personal information is secure. I will not distribute, sell or lease personal information to third parties unless I have explicit permission or are required by law to do so.
- In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, I have put in place procedures to safeguard and secure the information I collect. This includes prioritising internet security and the security of the electronic devices I use to process personal data. For example, a firewall is used on my computer, all electronic devices used are password protected and never left unlocked if unattended, and encryption methods are also used such as FileVault. Regular reviews of the security processes at Dietetically Speaking occur.
- This website is secure and encrypted. For additional security and GDPR compliance, the IP addresses of those who visit this site are immediately anonymised before being shared with Google Analytics via this method. Dietetically Speaking is hosted on Servers at Krystal.com which is secure and has reported it will be fully GDPR compliant by the 25th of May 2018.
- Contact details of email subscribers are stored by the MailChimp service which reports it will be fully GDPR compliant by the 25th of May 2018. This information is kept until the individual unsubscribes or requests that I delete this information.
- Service providers used to store and process information related to carrying out dietetic services for clients all have robust security procedures in place and report that they will be GDPR compliant by the 25th of May 2018. These service providers include: Cloud Storage Services; email hosting via Krystal; and nutritional analysis and storage of nutritional health records via Oviva and Nutrium. All personal, business and consultancy information is handled confidentially; and sensitive information is encrypted for additional security. BDA and HCPC record keeping guidelines are strictly adhered to for one to one consultation.
- The contact details of clients who avail of services from Dietetically Speaking (usually in the form of names and email addresses) will be stored for no longer than one year following our last correspondence, or until a company or individual requests that they are deleted.
- Any personal information documented from telephone contact related to the services I provide will be destroyed once the telephone conversation is completed, unless there is a valid reason to retain this as part of service provision. In which case I will retain this information until you the client asks that I remove it, but for no longer than a year after the last telephone conversation.
- Any contact I receive on social media is also handled securely and confidentially in line with the GDPR. I will delete any social media messages upon request from the individual concerned, and all contact will be deleted within one year following our last correspondence.
Controlling Your Personal Information
- I will not distribute, sell or lease your personal information to third parties unless I have your explicit permission or are required by law to do so.
- Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), you may request details of personal information which Dietetically Speaking holds about you, request to have your information updated or withdraw consent and request to have your information deleted.
- If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact me as soon as possible, and I will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
- Subscribers to my email list can also update your information using the ‘update your preferences’ button provided on each email which is sent, or by contacting myself or MailChimp. All contact made via this email subscription list are also provided with an opt out facility (the ‘unsubscribe’ button at the end of all emails).
- Please note that there is a legal duty to maintain health records for 8 years from final contact (for adult clients), so removal of data requests from clients who have received one to one nutrition advice will be handled on an individual basis and in accordance with UK guidelines.
- I (Maeve Hanan) am the data controller at Dietetically Speaking, so please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries or requests related to your personal data and I will respond promptly.
- This site contains links to other websites, such as: links to scientific relevant journals, articles, other blog posts and sources of information. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that Dietetically Speaking does not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
- I endeavour to answer all genuine messages and comments which I receive, response times will depend on capacity.
- I can be contacted in relation to all of the nutritional services which I offer, including: nutrition consultancy; nutrition and health writing; comments and quotes for the media; and one to one nutritional assessment and advice.
- I cannot provide individual nutritional advice unless I have complete a full nutritional assessment (see ‘Nutritional Consultations’ on my Services Page for more information). However I may discuss population level health advice, the evidence base in relation to nutrition and where appropriate I may signpost to relevant resources or sources of support.
- I do not respond to: offensive, attacking or irrelevant comments/messages, or to comments/messages with no connection to nutrition/dietetics (which may be deleted).
- If I am contacted in relation to a topic which falls outside of my scope of practice, I will be upfront about this and I may signpost to another professional who has expertise in that specific area.
- Where appropriate, I may continue a conversation via email or private message rather than on a social media platform.
- A big thank you to the Rds4disclosureuk website for their guidance in completing this disclosure policy; and in particular to Nic at Nic’s Nutrition for kindly allowing me to adapt the disclosure policies from her website.
- Special thanks to my boyfriend Anthony O’Neill for supporting Dietetically Speaking, designing this website and not to mention acting as on-demand IT support!
This page was last updated in May 2018