In view of transparency, this policy outlines information related to the ethos, data processing, background workings, intentions and integrity of this website. We endeavour to keep this disclosure policy up to date.
For information about individual consultations please see our dietetic appointment policies.
- Dietetically Speaking is run by Maeve Hanan; a UK and Irish Registered Dietitian with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and the Health and Social Care Professionals Council in Ireland (CORU). Maeve Hanan is also a Member of the British Dietetic Association (BDA).
- The aim of Dietetically Speaking is to communicate evidence-based nutrition information in a clear and accessible way.
- I (Maeve Hanan) aim to use my scientific knowledge, clinical skills and expertise in an accurate and professional manner on this website.
- I promote a healthy and balanced approach to diet and lifestyle. I don’t think that any foods should be demonised or that one particular food makes a diet healthy; it’s about the bigger picture of health, including promoting a healthy relationship with food.
- All opinions are my own views (or those of named guest contributors).
- In view of the importance of transparency I have signed up to with RDs4Disclosure UK and have pledged to blog with integrity. This means I am bound by an ethical code of conduct and will not provide false and misleading information.
- This website shares evidence-based information about nutrition in general, but this should not be used as an alternative to individually tailored advice given by a registered health professional.
- I will aim to update old content from time to time (where applicable), however, please note that older posts may no longer be up to date.
- The images featured on this website are from copyright-free sources (unless stated otherwise) and photo credits are given where applicable.
- Information and other materials posted on this site are for general information and are not intended to amount to advice on which reliance should be placed. The information offered on Dietetically Speaking’s website, blog and social media accounts is not a
substitute for seeing a Registered Dietitian or another qualified healthcare professional. Maeve Hanan and Dietetically Speaking, therefore, disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by any visitor to our site, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents. Specialist advice must be obtained before taking or refraining to take action on the basis of any content on this site.
- Dietetically Speaking does not warrant or guarantee that all services listed or advertised may be available at all times. Dietetically Speaking reserves the right to withdraw or amend any services.
- Please email me with any questions about my disclosure policies: firstname.lastname@example.org
Products & Sales
- A 10to8 plug-in is used for booking dietetic consultation appointments. Payments for dietetic consultations are processed via Stripe and we don’t store or have access to any credit or debit card details.
- The WooCommerce plug-in is used for the sale of online courses on this website. Payments for online courses are processed via PayPal and we don’t store or have access to any credit or debit card details.
- Other products on sale via this website are handled via Amazon (such as books and T-shirts).
- In accordance with UK law, you have the right to a refund for services or courses booked online via this website within 14 days of purchasing it. After this period, refunds are not usually permitted for our online courses. Please see our appointments policy for information about appointment cancellations.
- Any further terms and conditions related to courses or products will be clearly highlighted on the relevant sales pages.
Advertising, Product/Service Reviews & Partnerships
- I adhere to the HCPC and CORU standards, which stipulate that any advertising must be accurate and done in a responsible way.
- I pledge to disclose any sponsored posts, advertising and product reviews whether this is monetary or in the form of free products. Any product reviews or posts will be based on her own opinion, even if sponsored.
- I will not make or support unjustifiable statements relating to products or services (as per HCPC and INDI guidelines, and food industry regulations). Any potential financial rewards will not play a part in the advice or recommendations of products or services offered.
- I adhere to the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) UK, Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) and Advertising Standards of Ireland (ASAI) guidelines for sponsorship and advertising, which states that it must be made clear when an individual has been paid for a promotional post or product review (i.e. by including #sp or #ad in posts).
- I will always disclose in a clear manner if I receive any samples, money or other incentives related to blog or social media posts and receiving these will not influence the opinions, topics or content of my blog (as per the Internet Advertising Bureau: IAB guidelines).
- I also screen all guest posts which are shared on this website to ensure that the messages fit into the overarching aims and ethos of this website.
- I will only ever review, advertise or feature products or services which I believe could be of interest and benefit to my followers. Mentioning a product doesn’t automatically imply endorsement or recommendation of this product. I will never make or support unjustifiable statements relating to particular products (as per HCPC, CORU & INDI guidelines) or promote one product over another (as per food industry regulations).
- Any reviews of products are based on my personal tastes and preferences, and a nutrition assessment based on my professional observation and training as a Registered Dietitian.
- As per ASA and IAB affiliate marketing guidelines, I will always disclaim partnerships and I will clearly state if there are any affiliate links included in content posted on this website. When affiliate links are included, this means that at no extra cost to you I will earn a commission for click-through purchases.
- I will always clearly highlight when other professionals have proof-read or contributed to any of the content on this website.
What Information May Be Collected and What This is Used For:
- If you choose to subscribe to Dietetically Speaking, your email address is added to a secure list within my MailChimp account so that I can send my free monthly newsletter to you, as well as information and offers from time to time which I feel may be of interest to you. All subscribers to this email list are clearly informed about how their data will be used, stored, processed and tracked using the MailChimp service on my newsletter sign-up notice before choosing whether to opt-in or not. This highlights that subscribers will be sent my monthly newsletter, as well as information and offers from time to time which I feel may be of interest. Subscriber’s email addresses are used for no other purposes than those outlined above, and they are free to opt-out at any time. Verifiable consent is obtained using a General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliant sign-up form which stores permission data in list export files (as advised by the MailChimp service). A double opt-in method is also used to ensure explicit consent is obtained for the subscription. All subscribers are free to change their information or opt-out from my newsletter at any time.
- If you avail of any of Dietetically Speaking’s Services, relevant information which is needed to complete these services may be collected. For example: contact details to facilitate communication, details needed for invoicing, information about a project, or information needed for completing an individual nutritional assessment. Explicit informed consent is obtained prior to gathering any of this information using Dietetically Speaking’s Terms and Condition (for consultancy services) or client agreement (for individual nutritional advice).
Security and Where Your Information is Stored
- I am committed to ensuring that all personal information is secure. I will not distribute, sell or lease personal information to third parties unless I have explicit permission or are required by law to do so.
- In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, I have put in place procedures to safeguard and secure the information I collect. This includes prioritising internet security and the security of the electronic devices I use to process personal data. For example, a firewall is used on my computer, all electronic devices used are password protected and never left unlocked if unattended, and encryption methods are also used such as FileVault. Regular reviews of the security processes at Dietetically Speaking occur.
- This website is secure and encrypted. For additional security and GDPR compliance, the IP addresses of those who visit this site are immediately anonymised before being shared with Google Analytics via this method. Dietetically Speaking is hosted on Servers at Krystal.com which is secure and GDPR compliant.
- Contact details of email subscribers are stored by the MailChimp service which is GDPR compliant. This information is kept until the individual unsubscribes or requests that I delete this information.
- Service providers used to store and process information related to carrying out dietetic services for clients all have robust security procedures in place and are GDPR compliant. These service providers include: Cloud Storage Services (for record-keeping), email hosting via Krystal, 10to8 booking software and Zoom video conferencing software (doxy.me is also used as a back-up option for video conferencing if indicated). All personal, business and consultancy information is handled confidentially; and sensitive information is encrypted for additional security. BDA and HCPC record-keeping guidelines are strictly adhered to for one to one consultation.
- The contact details of clients who avail of services from Dietetically Speaking (usually in the form of names and email addresses) will be stored for no longer than one year following our last correspondence, or until a company or individual requests that they are deleted.
- Any personal information documented from telephone contact related to the services I provide will be destroyed once the telephone conversation is completed, unless there is a valid reason to retain this as part of service provision. In which case I will retain this information until you the client asks that I remove it, but for no longer than a year after the last telephone conversation.
- Any contact I receive on social media is also handled securely and confidentially in line with the GDPR. I will delete any social media messages upon request from the individual concerned, and all contact will be deleted within one year following our last correspondence.
Controlling Your Personal Information
- I will not distribute, sell or lease your personal information to third parties unless I have your explicit permission or are required by law to do so.
- Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), you may request details of personal information which Dietetically Speaking holds about you, request to have your information updated or withdraw consent and request to have your information deleted.
- If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact me as soon as possible, and I will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
- Subscribers to my email list can also update your information using the ‘update your preferences’ button provided on each email which is sent, or by contacting myself or MailChimp. All contact made via this email subscription list are also provided with an opt out facility (the ‘unsubscribe’ button at the end of all emails).
- Please note that there is a legal duty to maintain health records for 8 years from final contact (for adult clients), so removal of data requests from clients who have received one to one nutrition advice will be handled on an individual basis and in accordance with UK guidelines.
- I (Maeve Hanan) am the data controller and Data Protection Officer (DPO) at Dietetically Speaking, so please contact me on email@example.com with any queries or requests related to your personal data and I will respond promptly.
- This site contains links to other websites, such as: links to scientific relevant journals, articles, other blog posts and sources of information. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that Dietetically Speaking does not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
- I endeavour to answer all genuine messages and comments which I receive, response times will depend on capacity.
- I can be contacted in relation to all of the nutritional services which I offer, including: nutrition consultancy; nutrition and health writing; comments and quotes for the media; and one to one nutritional assessment and advice.
- I cannot provide individual nutritional advice unless I have complete a full nutritional assessment (see ‘Nutritional Consultations’ on my Services Page for more information). However I may discuss population level health advice, the evidence base in relation to nutrition and where appropriate I may signpost to relevant resources or sources of support.
- I do not respond to: offensive, attacking or irrelevant comments/messages, or to comments/messages with no connection to nutrition/dietetics. This type of comment may be deleted, and if deemed necessary the police may also be contacted (for example in cases of threatening or inappropriate communication).
- If I am contacted in relation to a topic which falls outside of my scope of practice, I will be upfront about this and I may signpost to another professional who has expertise in that specific area.
- Where appropriate, I may continue a conversation via email or private message rather than on a social media platform.
Prohibited Used For this Website:
You may not use this website:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation.
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect.
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or
promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam).
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree:
- Not to reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of our site in contravention of the provisions of our terms of website use;
- Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt: any part of our site; any equipment or network on which our site is stored; any software used in the provision of our site; or any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
Further Terms & Conditions:
Whether you are a consumer or a business user:
- We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Different limitations and exclusions of liability will apply to liability arising as a result of the supply of any products to you, which will be set out in our Terms and conditions of supply of services.
If you are a business user:
- We exclude all implied conditions, warranties, representations or other terms that may apply to our site or any content on it.
- We will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including
negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
use of, or inability to use, our site; or
use of or reliance on any content displayed on our site.
In particular, we will not be liable for:
loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
loss of anticipated savings;
loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
If you are a consumer user:
- Please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use. You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
- If defective digital content that we have supplied, damages a device or digital content belonging to you and this is caused by our failure to use reasonable care and skill, we will either repair the damage or pay you compensation. [However, we will not be liable for damage that you could have avoided by following our advice to apply an update offered to you free of charge or for damage that was caused by you failing to correctly follow installation instructions or to have in place the minimum system requirements advised by us.
The material published on our website are protected by copyright laws. All such rights are reserved. Furthermore:
- All content included on the site, unless uploaded by users, including but not limited to text, graphics, logos, videos, images and icons is the property of [Company name], our affiliates or other relevant third parties.
- By continuing to use this Site you acknowledge that such material is protected by applicable EU and international Intellectual Property Law.
- You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our site for your personal reference and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to material
posted on our site.
- You must not modify copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
- Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of material on our site must always be acknowledged.
- You must not use or distribute any part of the materials on our site for commercial purposes.
- We are not responsible for any website our site may link to, or the material contained on that site or any material uploaded by other users to or in relation to our site.
Creating a link to our website may only be carried out in accordance with the rules about linking to these rules:
- You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
- You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
- You must not establish a link to our site in any website that is not owned by you.
- Our site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our site other than the home page.
- We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
- If you wish to link to or make any use of content on our site other than that set out above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A big thank you to the Rds4disclosureuk website for their guidance in completing this disclosure policy; and in particular to Nic at Nic’s Nutrition for kindly allowing me to adapt parts of the disclosure policies from her website.
- Special thanks to my boyfriend Anthony O’Neill for supporting Dietetically Speaking, designing this website and not to mention acting as on-demand IT support!
This page was last updated on the 6th of December 2020
Maeve has been consulting on The Food Medic Educational Hub for 12 months now and has been a huge asset to the team. Her ability to translate some very nuanced topics in nutrition into easy-to-follow, informative articles and infographics is really admirable.
Dr Hazel Wallace
Founder of The Food Medic
Maeve is incredibly talented at sharing scientific information in an easy to understand way. The content she shares with us is always really interesting, clear, and of very high quality. She’s one of our favourite writers to work with!
Senior UX Writer at Thriva Health
Maeve has written extensively for NHD magazine over the last few years, producing a wealth of dietetic and nutritional articles. Always evidence based and factual, Maeve creates material that is relevant and very readable. She provides high quality work with a professional and friendly approach. Maeve is a beacon of high quality knowledge and work within the nutrition writing community; and someone NHD magazine is proud to work with.
Editor of Network Health Digest