By booking an appointment with Maeve Hanan (Registered Dietitian), you are consenting that you understand the following information, including risks and benefits of booking a telehealth consultation.
Maeve Hanan keeps these policies under regular review and places any updates on this web page. This policy was last updated on the 21st of May 2020.
- Dietetically Speaking is run by Maeve Hanan; a Registered Dietitian with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) in the UK (membership number: DT27185) and Social Care Professionals Council in Ireland (CORU, membership number: DI037648). Maeve Hanan is also a Member of the Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute (INDI, membership number: 1987).
- Maeve Hanan aims to use her scientific knowledge, clinical skills and expertise in an accurate and professional manner.
- Individual participation: You will receive an individualised nutrition plan based on your consultation. You are responsible for the implementation of this advice.
- Maeve Hanan adheres to the HCPC and CORU standards, which stipulate that any advertising must be accurate and done in a responsible way. She will not make or support unjustifiable statements relating to products or services (as per HCPC, CORU and INDI guidelines, and food industry regulations). Any potential financial rewards will not play a part in the advice or recommendations of products or services offered.
- Clients are entitled to partial reimbursement from health insurance companies based in Ireland. Appointment receipts can also be used to claim for health expense relief via the Med 1 tax form in Ireland.
- We ask for 24 hours notice for appointment cancellation in order to avoid a late cancellation fee of 50% of the consultation price.
- Those who do not attend an appointment without providing any notice will be charged the full consultation fee and will be asked to pay for their next appointment in advance.
- See our full disclosure policy for further information about Dietetically Speaking.
Information about Telemedicine Consultations:
- Telemedicine is the use of video call or video conferencing software in order to carry out dietetic consultations remotely. This differs from face-to-face consultation as we will not be in the same room as each other during the consultation.
- Some parts of the consultation involving physical examinations (i.e. body weight) may be conducted at your location, and we can discuss these measurements during the consultation.
- The main benefits of telemedicine consultations are increased flexibility for both parties in terms of the timing and location of consultations.
- The main risks related to telemedicine consultations include technical difficulties, interruptions, unauthorised access or communication difficulties.
- I will ensure that your privacy is protected by ensuring nobody else can hear the consultation and using secure and encrypted software.
- If an issue arises with technology which we can not fix during the consultation, we can revert to a phone consultation or rearrange the consultation if needed.
Maeve Hanan is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. This section outlines how your personal data is used, stored and protected, in line with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), in relation to accessing dietetic treatment from Maeve Hanan.
Use of Personal Data:
- As outlined in the consent section below, by entering or providing us with your personal data, you are allowing Maeve Hanan (at Dietetically Speaking) to access and store your data for the purpose of dealing with your enquiry and providing dietetic services to you, in accordance with our data protection, privacy and cookies policy.
- To comply with GDPR, your data will be kept for no longer than one year after your last correspondence.
- By instructing Maeve Hanan to provide clinical services to you, your data will be stored for eight years in accordance with the HCPC and CORU Standards for Records and Record-Keeping. For clients under the age of 18, records will be kept until your 21st birthday.
- Your details will be held by Maeve Hanan (at Dietetically Speaking) in line with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
- You can change your preferences (including unsubscribing from communications) at any point by contacting Maeve Hanan on firstname.lastname@example.org
Security and Where Your Information is Stored:
- I am committed to ensuring that all personal information is secure. I will not distribute, sell or lease personal information to third parties unless I have explicit permission or are required by law to do so.
- Service providers used to store and process information related to carrying out dietetic services for clients all have robust security procedures in place and are GDPR compliant. These service providers include: Cloud Storage Services (for record-keeping), email hosting via Krystal, 10to8 booking software and Zoom video conferencing software (doxy.me is also used as a back-up option for video conferencing if indicated). All personal, business and consultancy information is handled confidentially; and sensitive information is encrypted for additional security. INDI and HCPC record-keeping guidelines are strictly adhered to for one to one consultation.
- The contact details of clients who avail of services from Dietetically Speaking (usually in the form of names and email addresses) will be stored for no longer than one year following our last correspondence, or until a company or individual requests that they are deleted.
- Any personal information documented from telephone contact related to the services I provide will be destroyed once the telephone conversation is completed, unless there is a valid reason to retain this as part of service provision. In which case I will retain this information until you the client asks that I remove it, but for no longer than a year after the last telephone conversation.
- Any contact I receive on social media is also handled securely and confidentially in line with the GDPR. I will delete any social media messages upon request from the individual concerned, and all contact will be deleted within one year following our last correspondence.
Controlling Your Personal Information:
- I will not distribute, sell or lease your personal information to third parties unless I have your explicit permission or are required by law to do so.
- Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), you may request details of personal information which Dietetically Speaking holds about you, request to have your information updated or withdraw consent and request to have your information deleted.
- Please note that there is a legal duty to maintain health records for 8 years from final contact for adult clients, and until the 21st birthday for those under 18. Therefore, removal of data requests from clients who have received one to one nutrition advice will be handled on an individual basis and in accordance with EU guidelines.
- If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact me as soon as possible, and I will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
- Maeve Hanan is the data controller and Data Protection Officer (DPO) at Dietetically Speaking, so please contact me on email@example.com with any queries or requests related to your personal data and I will respond promptly.
Consenting to Dietetic Treatment:
By booking an online dietetic consultation with Maeve Hanan you are consenting to the following:
- Consent for Dietetic Treatment via Telemedicine Appointment:
You consent to this telemedicine appointment for dietetic treatment and any further telemedicine appointments that you book with Maeve Hanan (Registered Dietitian at Dietetically Speaking). You understand what telehealth consultations involve (based on the above
information) including the benefits and risks of this approach. You understand that you or Maeve Hanan can discontinue the telemedicine consultation if it is felt that the video-conferencing connections are not adequate for the situation. You understand that some parts of the consultation involving physical examinations (i.e. body weight) may be conducted at my location at the direction of the consulting health care provider.
- Maeve Hanan will handle your personal data in a secure manner for the purpose of providing dietetic services to you, in accordance with GDPR and our data protection policy (as outlined above):
You understand this statement and the above information in relation to the use of your personal data (such as: contact details, medical information, body measurements, diet and lifestyle information) and are happy to proceed with dietetic treatment. You understand that by accessing clinical services from Maeve Hanan, your data will be stored securely for eight years in accordance with the HCPC and CORU Standards for Records and Record-Keeping. For clients under the age of 18, records will be kept until your 21st birthday.
- Maeve Hanan may need to contact you regarding your dietetic treatment:
You give consent for Maeve Hanan to contact you via email, text or phone call regarding your treatment. You consent for Maeve Hanan to send you resources via email in relation to your dietetic treatment. You consent to receive appointment reminders via email and text.
You understand that I can change my communication preferences at any point by contacting Maeve Hanan on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maeve Hanan may wish to contact your GP as part of your dietetic
You consent for Maeve Hanan to contact your GP where deemed appropriate as part of your dietetic treatment. Maeve may also need to communicate with other health care professionals in order to improve your care or share treatment information if indicated. Express consent will be obtained before any such discussion with health care professionals.
If you want to book an appointment with Maeve Hanan, but do not consent to the above information, then please contact Maeve on: email@example.com to discuss this further.
- Maeve endeavours to communicate effectively with all of her clients and to answer all genuine messages and emails in a timely manner. Response times will depend on capacity.
- In the event of any technical difficulties during consultations, Maeve may suggest restarting devices, trying a different device or using doxy.me or a phonecall as a secure back-up option.
- Maeve has a duty of care to contact relevant authorities if you disclose information which suggests that you may be at risk of harming others.
- Maeve does not respond to offensive, attacking or irrelevant messages, or to comments messages with no connection to nutrition or dietetics treatment.
- Inappropriate communication may lead to termination of your access to dietetic services from Maeve Hanan. If deemed necessary, the police may also be contacted (for example in cases of threatening or inappropriate communication).
- Where appropriate, Maeve may continue a conversation via email or private message rather than on a social media platform. Maeve does not provide personal dietary advice to anybody via social media, including current clients.
Maeve has been consulting on The Food Medic Educational Hub for 12 months now and has been a huge asset to the team. Her ability to translate some very nuanced topics in nutrition into easy-to-follow, informative articles and infographics is really admirable.
Dr Hazel Wallace
Founder of The Food Medic
Maeve is incredibly talented at sharing scientific information in an easy to understand way. The content she shares with us is always really interesting, clear, and of very high quality. She’s one of our favourite writers to work with!
Senior UX Writer at Thriva Health
Maeve has written extensively for NHD magazine over the last few years, producing a wealth of dietetic and nutritional articles. Always evidence based and factual, Maeve creates material that is relevant and very readable. She provides high quality work with a professional and friendly approach. Maeve is a beacon of high quality knowledge and work within the nutrition writing community; and someone NHD magazine is proud to work with.
Editor of Network Health Digest