If you are interested in booking an initial appointment or finding out more about this service, you can send enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or book a free 10-minute discovery call (link above).
I am a Registered Dietitian specialising in helping people to develop a free and flexible relationship with food.
I have over 7 years of experience as a Dietitian in a range of public and private healthcare settings, which includes over 5 years of experience of nutrition communication online, on social media and with printed publications and radio.
Over the years I noticed a common theme — all of the messages we are bombarded with about nutrition, weight and health from a variety of sources leaves many people feeling confused with a very black and white ‘good vs. bad’ mindset. In turn, this can lead to a number of eating difficulties like restriction, food guilt, comforting eating and binging. Ultimately, food no longer feels like a friend and can cause a lot of unnecessary stress and discomfort.
So this experience, along with my long-standing interest in the psychological side of nutrition, led me to specialise in supporting those who have developed a difficult relationship with food.
As I also support other Nutrition Professionals with online working, so the appointments and services I offer are designed to be user-friendly, flexible and supportive.
Please note: this is a weight-inclusive service and I don’t offer traditional weight management services. For more information about this check out the “Do I Help People To Lose Weight” FAQ Below.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is This Service Right For You?
I support those who have a difficult relationship with food, in order to get to a more free and flexible place where food complements your life in a healthy way, rather than dominating your life in an unhealthy way.
For example, this service may be for you if you:
- Have been stuck in the cycle of dieting and feeling ‘on and off the wagon’ for years
- Feel anxious or guilty about specific foods
- Are interested in eating more intuitively, in-line with your internal body cues
- Struggle with emotional or binge eating
- Feel that food dominates your life in an unhealthy way e.g. concerns about ‘healthy eating’ leaves to anxiety or stops you from enjoying food or eating out with friends.
- Feel confused about how to eat well in a flexible way that supports overall health
- Want support with an eating disorder. Please note: as appointments are held via web call this service is not designed for those who have a BMI under 16or those at high risk of sudden and severe medical issues.
As well as my main specialism of helping people with disordered eating, I also help people with general nutrition advice.
I also have training and experience in a range of areas including:
- Gut health – particularly IBS (and I am trained in the use of the low FODMAP diet)
- Women’s health – including diet for menopause, bone health, PCOS and fertility
- Heart health
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Childhood nutrition (particularly fussy eating)
If you are unsure about whether my service is for you don’t hesitate to email me email@example.com or set-up a free 10-minute discovery call by following this link.
What Qualifications & Training Do I Have?
- First Class Honours Degree in Dietetics (BSc Hons Dietetics, University of Ulster Coleraine).
- Registered Dietitian* with the Health and Care Professionals Council in the UK (HCPC, membership number: DT27185) and also with the Social Care Professionals Council in Ireland (CORU, membership number: DI037648).
- Completed the British Dietetic Association (BDA) Advanced Mental Health in Eating Disorders training course.
- Training in Intuitive Eating for Healthcare Professionals by the London Centre for Intuitive Eating.
- Training in Guided Self-Help for Eating Difficulties from My Transitions (a company created by experienced Psychologists and Dietitians).
- Health Psychology Training For Nutrition Professionals by Spectrum Mental Health.
- Behaviour change training including Motivational Interviewing (MI) and Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) from Behaviour Change Training and other training days and shadowing from Clinical Psychologists in the NHS.
- Attended the Navigating Emotional Eating in Clinic workshop by Pixie Turner Nutrition.
- Training on the use of a low FODMAP diet for IBS by Monash University.
- Level 5 CELTA English Teacher – although not directly related to nutrition this has really helped my communication and teaching skills.
* Registered Dietitian is a legally-protected title which ensures I am appropriately qualified to assess, diagnose and treat dietary and nutritional problems with both individuals and on a wider public-health level. Maintaining this registration also involves staying up to date with the latest nutritional science and acting in an ethical and professional manner.
What Experience Do I Have?
I have over 7 years of experience as a Registered Dietitian. Within this time I have gained the following experience:
- Private Practice Dietitian: I have worked with a wide variety of nutritional concerns in private clinics, including eating disorders, IBS, PCOS, nutrition for sports, fertility, bone health, heart health and more.
- Mental Health Bank Specialist Dietitian in the NHS: This involves working temporarily with a specialist mental health team with a variety of issues including disordered eating and fussy eating.
- Paediatric Dietitian in the NHS – I worked with all age groups (and their families) from newborn babies up to 18 years olds with a variety of nutritional concerns, including fussy eating and eating disorders.
- Stroke Specialist Dietitian in the NHS – this involved supporting people from a nutritional perspective in the hospital and at home after they had a stroke. I worked closely with a team including a Clinical Psychologist who I learned a lot from.
- General Dietitian in the UK National Health Service (NHS) – this involved working on hospital wards and in out-patient clinics supporting people with nutritional concerns such as malnutrition, tube feeding, healthy eating, heart disease, nutritional deficiencies (like low iron levels), Type 2 diabetes and gut issues like IBS and IBD.
- Varied nutrition communication experience: This includes social media work, lecturing College/University students, providing wellness webinars, health writing, blogging and working with companies and the media.
- I also co-founded a company called Nutrimote which supports Nutrition Professionals to work online. So I am passionate about using technology well so that the services I provide are user-friendly, flexible and supportive for my clients.
How Do Appointments Work?
All appointments take place virtually, either via video consultation (usually using Zoom), telephone calls, emails or online nutrition coaching using an app called Recovery Record or a tailored nutrition-coaching spreadsheet.
An initial assessment consultation will last up to one hour and is tailored for each individual client.
This usually involves:
- Assessment of relevant background information – such as medical history, current medication, recent blood tests, digestive function, lifestyle factors (e.g. physical activity, stress)
- Assessment of your relationship with food
- Dietary assessment
- Dietary education and a personalised plan
- A follow-up plan to suit your needs
Follow-up appointments last up to 30-minutes and are also tailored towards your individual needs and plan.
Some clients opt for nutrition coaching along with video or phone follow-up consultations. This involves self-monitoring using an app or spreadsheet (depending on your preference) to learn about your eating habits and relationship with food. I also have access to the app or spreadsheet and I check-in with how things are going and provide feedback and advice at least twice per week. This is a great option for those who benefit from more contact, support and accountability.
How Much Do These Services Cost?
Individual zoom or telephone appointments can be booked using the links at the top of this page:
- Initial appointments (can last up to 1 hour) cost £90
- 50-minute follow-up appointments cost £75 (usually recommended for those seeking support with disordered eating, especially in the earlier stages of dietetic support)
- 30-minute follow-up appointments cost £45 (usually recommended for those who are in a more stable place with food)
I also offer a package deal of 10% off when you pay for 4 or more review appointments in bulk e.g. £162 for 4 review appointments, rather than £180 if each was bought separately
If you are interested in a higher level of input and support my online coaching service may be for you. This involves check-ins and monitoring via an app or customized shared spreadsheet (depending on your preferences) at least twice per week, as well as zoom consultations one to four times per months, depending on the package you choose.
After your initial appointment, I also offer these follow-up package deals:
- Nutrition coaching package 1 (£250 per month): This includes 4 x 30 minute online appointments (i.e. weekly appointments) OR 2 x 50-minute online appointments per month, plus nutrition coaching check-ins at least twice per week via email, an app or a shared spreadsheet (depending on your preference).
- Nutrition coaching package 2 (£170 per month): This includes 2 x 30 minute online appointments OR 1 x 50-minute online appointments per month, plus nutrition coaching check-ins at least twice per week via email, an app or a shared spreadsheet (depending on your preference).
- Nutrition coaching package 3 (£130 per month): This includes 1 x 30 minute online appointments plus nutrition coaching check-ins at least twice per week via email, an app or a shared spreadsheet (depending on your preference).
I also offer a limited number of appointment slots at a reduced rate for those who have a lower income. Please contact me via email to enquire about this: firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I Claim Back For These Appointments On My Health Insurance?
As I am registered with CORU (membership number: DI037648), clients based in Ireland are entitled to partial reimbursement from health insurance companies. Appointment receipts can also be used to claim for health expense relief via the Med 1 tax form in Ireland.
I am not currently registered with private health insurance companies in the UK, but this may be an option depending on the policies of your health insurance company.
Where Can I Find Reviews?
You can find reviews about my services at the end of this page and click here to read my reviews on TrustPilot.
What Makes These Appointments Different?
These appointments put you and your relationship with food at the centre. I work collaboratively with my clients, rather than just telling you what to do I am there to guide you using my training and experience.
I strive to create a compassionate, non-judgemental and empowering environment for my clients, as you are ultimately the expert in yourself.
There is no set blueprint for the appointments as they are always tailored to meet the changing needs of each individual client. However, the focus is on overall health and wellbeing, rather than weight loss (as discussed in the next FAQ).
I also make use of user-friendly technology in order to provide the option of a higher level of support and monitoring with my nutrition coaching services, as compared with only interacting during scheduled appointments.
Do I Help People To Lose Weight?
The work I do with clients focuses on improving their relationship with food, from a holistic and weight-inclusive perspective. As body image concerns are a big driver for eating difficulties, and weight loss does not automatically mean improved health, I encourage my clients to shift at least some of the focus away from the scales and weight loss.
Therefore, I don’t provide traditional weight-loss advice or focus on weight loss as the main outcome. Instead, the focus is on ‘the big picture of health’ including mental wellbeing and food flexibility. Sometimes weight may reduce as a side-effect of this approach, but this isn’t always the case.
Whether you decide to check your weight or not is of course very individual, so this is an open discussion that I have with my clients as there is no one-fits-all answer.
Where Can I Find Further Information?
If you have any questions you can book a free 10-minute discovery call to see if we are a good fit to work together at the top of this page, or you can email me on: email@example.com
Click here to see my appointment policies.
Working with Maeve has allowed me to completely change my relationship with food. I first began working with Maeve because I struggled hugely with a fear of certain foods, which resulted in huge anxiety, a number of food rules and unwanted weight loss. In just a few months, Maeve has helped me realise that no food should be feared, and all foods have a place in our diet. She was kind, patient, re-assuring and non judgemental at all times and I knew she was just an email away if I ever needed advice or support. Maeve provided me with the help, resources and knowledge I needed and encouraged me to challenge myself. I could not be more helpful for the progress she has helped me make and I am now on the way to returning to my happiest, healthiest self. I truly could not have done this without working with Maeve and I encourage anyone who is struggling with food to reach out to her, because it will be so worth it.LB – Client
Maeve has been an amazing support with my recovery from disordered eating — every time I doubted myself or slipped up, she was right there, super calm and ready with a plan to get back on track! I never felt judged by her, so, for the first time, relapse didn’t feel like it instilled shame or guilt in me, it was just a bump in the road but always possible to get back up from. Eating regularly and eating substantial meals has become near-automatic at this point, it feels non-negotiable. I’m really ensuring I prioritise my eating before I do anything so that I have enough food to sustain me each day. More than that though, I don’t feel the emotional tie to food as much anymore, I don’t have that intense anxiety around some meals and I also am not changing my eating patterns depending on my mood. I also feel like I’ve come to a place of body neutrality, where I focus on its functionality and how much I need it to cope with each day. I don’t think words can do justice to explain how grateful I am for all of the support I received from Maeve.J McK – Client
Maeve is fantastic. Knowledgable and empathetic. I look forward to our discussions as she gently guides me towards thinking differently about food.A Hud – Client
An exceptional dietician. Maeve completely changed my life in navigating my recovery from an immune system issue called urticaria. Maeve continually showed with professionalism and care. I would highly recommend Maeve as a dietician.Leah Moore – Client
I was nervous about my first appointment but Maeve was so easy to talk to and so knowledgeable. She is extremely professional and has really helped me with all approaches to food and nutrition. I also felt that everything was so easily explained and made such sense in a world where we are bombarded with a lot of nutritional informational. So refreshing to actually learn from a qualified professional. Thank you Maeve for everything.CW – Client
Maeve has been phenomenal in advising me on health and nutrition. She has been so informative and helpful in analysing my diet and advising me with evidence-based information about how to obtain the recommended daily allowance of vitamins and minerals and advise on other issues such as thyroid, bone health, iron-rich foods and pregnancy nutrition. I have gained a huge amount of knowledge and as a result, feel much more confident in obtaining optimum nutrition during my pregnancy. She is very professional and extremely prompt at addressing any questions that I may contact her about regarding certain supplements, foods and how certain vitamins, minerals and food sources interact with each other and may hinder absorption. I am so glad that I booked appointments with her and would highly recommend her to anyone, I wish I had had an appointment with her years ago. I believe it is of utmost importance to book an appointment with a registered dietitian when looking for guidance on diet, nutrition and overall health as this is so scientific and requires expertise in this area.Edel Feeney – Client
Maeve has a very pleasant manner, is very competent and knowledgeable and listens very carefully and her recommendations are very sensible and manageable.MC – Client